Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Water and Fashion

I love shopping and I love clothes. I am a huge fan of second hand/thrift store/garage sale finds and well-matched clothing exchanges. Upcycling someone else's bleh items into my bohemian posh closet brings me a lot of happiness, eco-heart and monetary savings... a Win-Win-WIN!

But sometimes a girl has a need to walk into the mall and get herself something NEW! I am trying to buy more sustainably (eco-cotton, bamboo or hemp cloth, up-cycled materials) but it can be hard. I have my favorites (namely Prana and Xylem) but these labels tend to have limited variety, consisting mostly of casual and active wear, with a limited selection of sweaters and trousers I regularly  professionalize for the office.

Variety is why I am so excited about the new 80-piece spring collection by H&M - The Garden Collection is being marketed as green fashion at affordable prices. Clothing will be made in organic cotton and linen, recycled polyester, and tencel (a renewable material - bleached wood pulp). The launch of this new collection will be in partnership with a revatalization of the H&M supply chain and water usage.  The new program, based upon the recommendations of the WWF, will involve re-hashing the supply chain (fabrics and other direct suppliers); watershed-level stakeholder engagement in the Yangtze and Brahmaputra watersheds; a new internal employee training program on water issues; water conservation projects in China (a very timely effort, since there has been recent front-page new questioning if China will run out of water by 2030!); and public outreach. At present H&M self-reports to be the #1 user of organic cotton and 300 million Liters in water savings for demin production, with more to come in the future.

Things will be kicking off in late March/early April... just in time for my Birthday. Now I know where to direct inquiries for gifts. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment